This Talk Travel Asia podcast features two experts on Tented Camps, a unique accommodation option for getting up close and personal with the great outdoors while traveling in Asia: Episode 81: Tented Camps in Asia with John Roberts and Marius Hermann.
Where one stays while traveling can make or break a trip. Sometimes a shared dorm room does the trick, while other times it’s a suite with private plunge-pool. As more travelers hit the road and gain experience, they often want to push the travel-envelope further. And with that comes more innovative lodging experiences. Tented camps have been a mainstay on safaris in Africa for decades but they’re pretty new to the Asia travel scene. Over the last decade there has been an increase in tented camps throughout the region and we’ll dive into the trend with two experts who have recently opened a tented camp in Cambodia.
Scott & Trevor Banter about a few tented camps they know of including The Last Resort in Nepal; Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle and Kirimaya, Khao Yai, Thailand; and 4 Rivers Floating Lodge in Cambodia.
After discussing what they think of about traveling and staying in tented camps, Scott and Trevor introduce today’s guests: Marius Hermann, Project Manager, Cardamom Tented Camp in Cambodia and John Roberts, Minor Hotel Group’s Director of Conservation Efforts, who was a guest on Episode 4: The Plight of Asian Elephants and Episode 43 Adventure Travel in Asia.
Guest Intro: Our guests Marius Hermann and John Roberts are no strangers to travel in Asia. John has been living in working in Asia since 1999 in various countries and was a guest on Episode. 4: Asian Elephants and Episode. 43: Adventure Travel in Asia in 2016. In fact, he’s now our only three-time guest! He’s currently Minor Hotel Group’s Director of Conservation Efforts. And Marius is originally from Germany but has traveled and worked in various SE Asian countries for about 5-years. He’s currently the Project Manager of the Cardamom Tented Camp, a new tented camp in Cambodia. They both join us today via Skype.
- For those who don’t know, what is a tented camp?
- Where did the concept of tented camps for travelers start?
- What goes into deciding what would be a good location for a tented camp?
- Where and when did the tented camp concept start in Asia?
- What are some of the more famous tented camps for travelers in Asia?
- What are some of the unique features of staying in a tented camp resort?
- What should travelers consider before staying in a tented camp?
- Are tented camps only for high-end, wealthy travelers or nature enthusiasts?
- Tell us about the tented camp you’ve recently opened in Cambodia?
- John – why are you involved in setting up this tented camp?
- Why there?
- What makes it unique?
Here are some links to photos, some official, and some from the early days of development of the Cardamom Tented Camp, Cambodia:
About our guests:
- John Roberts on Twitter: @elehelp
- Cardamom Tented Camp (Cambodia): https://cardamomtentedcamp.com/
- Facebook for Cardamom Tented Camp:
- Tiger Tops (Nepal): http://www.tigertops.com/
- The Last Resort (Nepal): https://www.thelastresort.com.np/
- 4 Rivers Floating Lodge (Cambodia): http://ecolodges.asia/
- Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle (Thailand): https://www.fourseasons.com/goldentriangle/
- Kirimaya (Thailand): http://www.kirimaya.com/resorts/kirimaya-resort/room-rates/tented-villa/
- Gal Oya (Sri Lanka): https://www.galoyalodge.com/
To learn more about Scott & Trevor: