What inspires people to pick up and move to the other side of the world? How many modern-day adventurers travel to a foreign destination with the intention to stay and try to establish a life there? This week’s guest did just that. In 2020, longtime listener Kristina Tague packed up and set off for Asia with the intention to live in the region. Today we’ll learn how that decision was made, where she journeyed to, and why she settled in the city she did.
Why did we move to Asia?
Trevor: I had backpacked around Asia: Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore on my first visit in Asia in 1996 but left without any thoughts of returning to live in anywhere I’d visited. In 2001, my company had an office in Bangkok and asked if I wanted to work there for 3 months. I put my things in storage and left: with little expectation of staying longer than my initial contract: Well… 3 months turned into 6 and then 12 and then 2 years and, well… you know the rest of the story: 21 years later, I’ve lived, worked and/or studied in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, and Korea.
Scott shares his story of moving to Asia to found a travel company, Smiling Albino, in Bangkok, Thailand.
Anywhere in Asia you would move to?
Trevor: Back to Bali or somewhere else with waves and good food. Elsewhere in Indo, possibly Philippines. Otherwise, I’d be happy to move back to Bangkok. Or split my time between there, Siem Reap and Bali. 😀
Scott: KL for two years. Traveled/worked in another 10 countries, but didn’t live.
Every other week, we have a special Patron-only episode or video. We love our patrons and create some of our best content to share exclusively with them. Join them by donating a few dollars a month to enjoy our bonus content. Your donation helps us cover the costs of keeping the show alive. Thanks in advance for your support.
Our guest, Kristina Tague: According to her LinkedIn profile, Kristina Tague is a highly motivated, energetic, and compassionate individual with an educational and research background in Psychology. Her education, research, and counseling experiences have coalesced with her time spent in Asia during the pandemic and culminating in a perfect living and working fit. She joins us today with Scott in Bangkok.
Listen to Episode 163 to hear Kristina’s answers about moving to Asia:
- Where are you originally from?
- Had you ever been to Asia before? And what inspired your move?
- Was there any pushback from family or friends?
- How serious were you about moving as opposed to maybe just see what happens?
- How did you plan your trip and where did you plan to go and eventually live?
- What was that experience like and why didn’t you settle there?
- Share other places and experiences you had along the way and why you didn’t choose to ‘live’ there.
- Why did you choose to eventually settle in Bangkok?
- Tell us about some of the good and bad surprises you encountered in your early days in Thailand.
- What are some of your favorite things about living in Thailand now?
- What are some things you miss from home?
- What’s the biggest difference between being a traveler somewhere vs really living and working there?
- Can you see yourself staying in Asia for a longer period of time?
- Anywhere you haven’t visited but hope to?
- Anywhere you might be interested in living?
- Biggest love and dislike of living here?
- Advice for those looking to plan a long-term trip to the region and actually ‘live’ somewhere for a year plus?
- Ever felt unsafe?
- What’s next for Kristina?
- How can people follow your travels?
Learn more about Scott and Trevor:
- Follow Scott on Twitter: @scottcoates73
- Trevor’s Blog
- Scott’s Blog
- Groovy Map Seoul
- National Geographic Cambodia
- National Geographic Thailand
- Follow Talk Travel Asia on Twitter
- Follow us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram
- Follow us on Vine
Theme Music by Jamie Ruben