On this episode of Talk Travel Asia podcast, Scott and Trevor talk with legendary chef Bobby Chinn about eating Vietnamese food, cooking Vietnamese food, and his experience on Top Chef Middle East. Have a listen and enjoy!
Introduction: Vietnamese food is one of the world’s great cuisines. As the country has opened to tourism over the last couple decades, more and more travelers have gotten the opportunity to try the real thing in-country. At the same time Vietnamese restaurants have opened all over the world with more and more people becoming fans of this fantastically diverse and tasty fare. Heavy in its use of fresh vegetables, Vietnamese food can also be a healthy choice. Today we’ll discuss Vietnamese cuisine, its place in the world and growing popularity with celebrity chef Bobby Chinn.
Trevor and Scott then talk about their experiences in Vietnam and enjoying Vietnamese cuisine. Scott talks about his first time trying Vietnamese food abroad vs. in-country, and Trevor explains what he loves about different types of Vietnamese food.
Today’s Guest: Bobby Chinn: Our guest, Bobby Chinn, is one of the best-known chefs and ambassadors of Vietnamese cuisine on earth. He’s hosted television shows about Vietnamese food, Vietnamese cuisine, and travel to Vietnam, he rubs shoulders with celebrities, has cooked for world leaders, and has operated restaurants in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City and London. He joins us via Skype from London.
Bobby Chinn then fields questions from Scott and Trevor about his background, Vietnamese food, and his current and upcoming projects.
- You’re an interesting mix of Egyptian and Chinese, and grew up around the world – tell us a bit about your background and how you ended up in Vietnam?
- When did you fall in love with Vietnamese cuisine?
- What makes Vietnamese food so unique compared to other cuisines?
- How has Vietnamese food changed in the years you’ve been working with it?
- What’s the biggest misconception foreigners have about Vietnamese cuisine?
- Why do you think Vietnamese food has caught on around the world over the last couple decades?
- What’s next for Vietnamese food?
- What are the introductory Vietnamese foods that travelers should start with?
- When travelers are in Vietnam, what should they try that they might not know about?
- Craft beer has a rich history in Vietnam and many small breweries have been opening in the last few years. Is there a connection between Vietnamese’s love for homemade beer and food?
- Tell us about your experience on Top Chef Middle East and developing TV Shows in general.
- Whats next for Bobby Chinn?
About our guest:
To learn more about Scott & Trevor:
- Follow Scott on Twitter: @scottcoates73
- Trevor’s Blog
- Scott’s Blog
- Groovy Map Seoul
- Shidler College of Business: University of Hawaii Executive MBA in Vietnam
- National Geographic Cambodia
- National Geographic Thailand
- Follow Talk Travel Asia on Twitter
- Follow us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram
- Follow us on Vine
- Theme Music by Jamie Ruben
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.